When I saw the WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge yesterday, my mind immediately went into autocomplete mode and Up became Superman’s familiar exclamation:
The Man of Steel turned 75 earlier this week and as such he’s been on my mind. Yesterday, I stumbled across a few boxes of old comics at my parents house and I took some pictures of the coolest comics featuring the Big Blue Boy Scout that were there. Here’s what I found …
World’s Finest Comics v1 #69
Superman has been teaming up with Batman for the better part of their collective history. I don’t know about y’all, but I’ve had almost enough grim & gritty super-hero movies. I’m secretly hoping that one day we’ll get to see a buddy-cop style movie featuirng the duo.
Superman v1 #162
Justice League of America v1 #63
Right, like anyone needed convincing that Superman was the most powerful member of the Justice League. Is he stronger than everyone else on the team (put together)? Most definitely. Is he faster than the fastest man alive—the Flash? Check. Is he capable of space flight like the GL? Oh, yeah!. Can he hold his breath underwater indefinitely and communicate with marine life — um, who cares?
Superman v1 #167
An awesome super-hero deserves equally awesome super villains. The man in the blue suit and red underwear (boots and cape) had them in spades. But, none were more deadly than Luthor and Brainiac. While they couldn’t match him physically they forced Kal-El to outsmart them—which was never a small feat.
Adventure Comics v1 #356
Ever the symbol of “truth, justice, and the American way”, the Man of Tomorrow continues to inspire us. Here’s to 75 more years!
This post is a part of the ongoing WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge series.
- Each week, [they] provide a theme for creative inspiration. You take photographs based on your interpretation of the theme, and post them on your blog anytime before the following Friday when the next photo theme will be announced.
- To make it easy for others to check out your photos, title your blog post “Weekly Photo Challenge: (theme of the week)” and be sure to use a “postaday2013” or “postaweek2013” tag.
- Subscribe to The Daily Post so that you don’t miss out on weekly challenge announcements. Sign up via the email subscription link in the sidebar or RSS.
Now, take a picture that captures this week’s theme and post a link to it in the comments below.
- Happy birthday, Superman! A look back at 75 powerful years (herocomplex.latimes.com)
- Quiz: Superman at 75 – how well do you know the Man of Steel? (herocomplex.latimes.com)
- Superman At 75: Dan Jurgens Reflects On The Man of Steel (comicbookresources.com)